Speedo problem found and solved

The tach I won was installed, and the wiring problems figured out as discussed in another thread. I took the 240 for a drive and it was nice to be able to turn up the stereo and still know what the motor was doing! BUT... Got out on the highway and saw that the speedo only would go to about 40mph and that was it! Seemed accurate to that point, but that was as far as the needle would go.

Of course, all the things I could have screwed up went through my head- pulled a wire, broke a part of the PC board, left a wrench in the patient, etc.

Got a chance to get back into it this AM and examined everything as I pulled it apart. Cleaned the contacts on the back of the speedo (where the 3 wire, 90 degree connector attaches) as well as the contacts on the wires themselves. Nothing unusual there. Looking carefully at the assembly I noticed some cobwebs on the inside of the plastic lens of the cluster so decided to complete the disassembly and pull the speedo to clean everything out since I had not yet found anything suspicious.

With the speedo removed I flicked the needle gently and it bounced off

40mph. I repeated it a few times and it went to about 60. A few more times and I got it to 100... hmmm... I put on my dad's old magnifying hood/lens thing (what old machinists use to use to read vernier scales- and no, that's not what you use to weigh verniers). In the inside, back area of the speedo mechanism where the magnet(?) is, I could see a loose spring! After some careful cajoling with some long, fine tweezers and a dental pick I was able to fish it out.

I had already seen where it came from- it was one of the two trip odometer reset springs. Whether it had just recently come off, or had been floating in there for years I don't know, but there is no doubt as to that loose spring being the cause of the speedo error. it could have been loose for a long time, and when I installed the tach, the removal and multiple reorientations of the cluster as I worked through the installation allowed it to get up in there.

Off to fix something else....

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.