Strange Squeal

When I start my car I often times hear a strange squealing sound for a few seconds. I also hear a slightly different but similarly annoying squealing (almost like monkeys are trapped in my steering column) when turning the wheel sharply.

Any idea what these noises may be due to?

Reply to
tergen

If your car is a 240 and the first squeal is coming from under the hood, I'm told it's probably a loose or misalligned alternator belt or the bushing for the alternator itself.

Reply to
rogadelic

If the first squeal is coming from under your hood, it's probably your alternator belt (loose, misalligned, or whatever) or the bushing for the alternator needs to be replaced. Check around the board for more info; this is a common problem with 240s and others far more savvy than I have posted at length about it.

Reply to
rogadelic

I think the power steering belt needs to be replaced. As rogadelic points out, it could also be that the bushings are sagging and misaligning the pump, too. If you replace one bushing you may as well replace them all since they are about the same age.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

First thing I'd check are the condition of the accessory drive belts, and the mounting bushings of things like the PS pump and alternator.

Reply to
James Sweet