The impact of no catalytic converter on a 93 240 automatic

For those interested, I had the cat emptied on my 93 240 automatic. Apart from a great deal of pollution coming out of the exhaust, the mileage per gallon hasn't changed at all. But what has changed is POWER!!!

Before, when I would turn on the AC, acceleration would be much weaker. Now, I have a great deal more power available. Accelerations (with or without AC on) are a great deal better.

Bottom line, the car is a great deal more pleasant to drive. Don't worry about me, I'll buy a cat right before my 2012 inspection and switch them so I can pass the test. Then I'll switch them back :-)

Reply to
Someone

The guts of my mom's 240 crumbled on their own years ago and I emptied it out by simply tipping the thing on end and letting the chunks pour out. The car has passed the emissions test just fine for more than a decade, I don't remember if power improved or not, but it gets over

30mpg highway from time to time, a 5-6mpg improvement gained by replacing the automatic with the M47 manual.
Reply to
James Sweet

If you remove the catalitic converter its no wonder you had to leave the country .Here down under we could get away with that as we never have tests .Even on mmy taxis and hire cars never did I have a test on co emissions .I did have a muffler foul up in a 264 many years ago and yes when removed it made a difference .the problem was bad gas or as we call it petrol. Maybe the problem is bad tuning not the converter .

Reply to
Jon Robertson

Older converters are a significant exhaust restriction, especially if they're clogged with crud. You can get high flow converters that have much less impact though.

Reply to
James Sweet