Towing a 1987 245 auto

Someone is giving me a 1987 245 automatic transmission but I need to tow it back to my place, which is about 200 miles. I will rent a dolly and put the front wheels up on it. Do I need to worry about disconecting the driveline or will the transmission handle a tow this long?

Thanks,

Mike V.

Reply to
MV

Disconnect the driveline if you're towing it more than a mile or two. It's fairly easy so long as you have a jack, some jackstands and a few wrenches. Try to keep the two halfs of the shaft together though, otherwise it can be tough to get it aligned properly.

Reply to
James Sweet

Or put the rear wheels on the dolly, and engage the steering lock.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

You should not exceed 30mph when towing a car fitted with an automatic gearbox and total tow distance should not exceed 30 miles. This is of course where the driven wheels are in contact with the road.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Remove the drive shaft, _after_ you place an alignment mark on the center joint. It's balanced as an assembly, and failing to mark it before removal will cause a lot of work to figure out where it should be--you'll have vibration problems if it's not reinstalled with the original alignment.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston