Towing a beetle without an engine.advice needed

I need to tow a beetle 100 miles one way next week.I have a tow dolly, I have pulled the engine and figured i would just tie up the transmission and pull it with the front wheels on the tow dolly. now, i want to avoid any mishaps, so i thought i would ask the collective wisdom of the list on successful ways to rig it up. Car is a 73 super beetle.

Reply to
Vanagon Man

Tie up the transmission?? You don't need to do anything with the tranny (except put it in NEUTRAL). [Read the TowJob story on my web site...]

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

If transmission is still in car you can flat tow it 100 miles easily with one of the tow bars made for VWs. Just remember to take it out of gear, set emergency brake off and leave key in steering column with it unlocked. Some states require functional lights too - which might make the tow dolly easier.

Reply to
Wolfgang

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:37:31 -0500, "Vanagon Man" ran around screaming and yelling:

unless you took the tranny mounts loose there is no need to "tie up" the tranny(the tranny is what holds the engine in, not vise versa)...push it up on the dolly, strap it down, put the key in the ignition so the steering doesn't lock, put in neutral, and release the parking brake...drive safely....safety chains are a must in my opinion and a set of "tow" lights are a good idea(*usually magnetic mount lights that are connected to the tow vehicle)... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Ha, this was the first thing that popped into my head after reading the OP's subject line. Nothing like a tranny pulling 20 thousand RPM to ruin it/your day :o(

B.C. Bugger

You guys are right. I was not thinking! I am so used to lately fooling with Vanagons and bay windows that i forgot the beetle transmission is mounted solid! That is great. Thanks for reminding me!

Reply to
Vanagon Man

Without a motor it's gonna be bouncy so make sure everything is tight and secure on the car. The extra height your gaining because it's not in there is a good thing on a dolly also, I've flattened a few peashooters going down the highway before.

I don't think having the steering wheel turn is relavent either, as the dolly does the turning for you. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro