Transmission fluid change...

All, Does anyone have any advice on how frequently I should be getting the transmission fluid in my 1999 S70 changed? The last time I did was 2 years and about 20k Kms ago. I drive mostly in the city and at slower speeds so I expect there would be more wear than all highway driving. I asked the dealer the last time I was in and was told that I didn't need to worry about changing the fluid this year. I get nervous when I hear that from the dealer, hence my question here.

I appreciate all input!

Jordan 1999 S70.

Reply to
Jabber

I think recommended is more like 30,000. Once every couple of years is good, and once a year would probably be ideal. More importantly, depending on how many miles you have right now, get the radiator checked and ask them about replacing even though its not broken-- but again, only if you're near 100,000 or over. I recommend getting it changed if thats the case, here's why...

There is a hose that leads directly back to the transmission, and goes to the radiator, if you're radiator cracks or leaks, it will deposit into your transmission. And it will render your transmission useless. I dont think that applies to all cars, or even all Volvos, I thought it was just the s70's and 850's, but i'm not sure about that.

Further note, i had to have my transmission replaced twice b/c of it. Volvo missed it when they replaced it the first time.

T-

Reply to
leicapro

If you have a gearbox which uses Fully Synthetic ATF, Volvo do not recommend that it is changed at all. In the VOC (UK) the recommendation is to flush/refill it every 100,000 miles with the same type of ATF. This is most likely the situation with your S70. Even my (1996) M90 box has the same recommendation from Volvo and yes it does use Fully Synthetic ATF even though it is a manual box.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Uhhhh...Yeah, right. Volvo doesn't recomment changing the fluid because they have an obligation to keep their dealer franchises in business by selling transmissions...and other things. The friction surfaces of Volvo transmissions are no different today than they were thirty years ago, and refined, petroleum based synthetic lubricants are no better today than they were then. Why do YOU think that they tell you that they tell you that the trans never needs to be flushed? They think that Volvo owners are morons that are made of money. By the way...What the heck is the VOC?

Peter K L Milnes wrote:

If you looked at my signature you would know what VOC means.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

OOPs!!!! Slapping myself on the forehead! What can I say? Senility does kind of run in the family.

Peter K L Milnes wrote:

Mine as well, that's why my forehead is flat!!

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Volatile Organic Chemicals. Means you need respiratory protection when using them. ;)

Bob

Reply to
User