V50 AWD

I test drove a V50 AWD today and WOW! A touch small for my needs (cargo area) but what a ride! I thought it drove better than a Jag X-type (AWD) I also tested this weekend. Not as cushy over bumps, but better acceleration and handling.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

I have tested a FWD version (I think the AWD version is available for the first time in UK about now). I found it ok but I thought the V70 feels like a better chassis & the extra room is invaluable if you use these vehicles as intended. I thought also compared to V70 the brakes were particularly 'wooden'. Overall there was too much 'Focus C-max' feel to the chassis, which is what it is based on. Have you tried the V70?

Reply to
Andrew Potter

Yes, and I absolutely agree - the V70 is much more car - and much more $$. Comparably equipped, the XC70 runs about $15k more. It's worth it if you can afford it, but if you can't, the V50 AWD seems to be a good value. I am probably going to buy a used XC70 for the same amount as the V50.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

In the UK V70's depreciate quite heavily. I chose between a new V50 and an 11 month old V70. The V70 was cheaper and much more car for the money. The list price of the V70 new would have been £28K - I paid £19K for an 11000 mile car.

Isn't the V50 AWD built more for speed than bad weather driving? The XC70 has raised suspension and without the right tyres a 4x4 car won't do much better in snow than a 2WD.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yes, the V50 AWD is a performance wagon - possibly overpowered for winter driving. Torque and HP are no advantage on ice!!

Reply to
Dana Rohleder