vacuum pump in braking system makes noise when engine is cold

I have a '98 V70 GLT which started making a howling/fan noise when the car is started after sitting a while. It doesn't seem to be related to the engine RPM and it shuts off after 15-45 seconds. I called the dealer and they said it is a vacuum pump in the braking system which pressurizes the system and that the sounds is indicative of wear but otherwise it still operates. They told me not to worry about it until it actually goes out, and when it does it will cost about $475 to replace.

I'm getting ready to sell the car and want to repair it before I put it up for sale, but I don't want to shell out nearly $500 if I can have it done or do it myself for a lot less. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Is it something that another shop could do? Is it something a mechanically inclined person could do themself (capable of doing timing belts, recharge AC, fuel & air filters, spark plugs, cooling system flushes, etc.) or is it too complex/need special equipment?

Oh, does anyone know the actual name of the pump or if there are any web resources on it?

Many thanks!

Reply to
cgates30

What you are hearing is the Air Pump which is for the fuel system & yes it is going bad & yes you can have a qualified repair shop perform the repair instead of the dealer just make sure that the pump & the check valve is replaced @ the same time Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein