Volvo S40 starting problems

Our S40 2.0 auto model is refusing to start on occasion - just making a clicking noise when the ignition key is turned. A few tries later it is starting (so far). Just noticed that the radio has lost its code too. Any thoughts welcome

thx

Marc

Reply to
marcb

The starter solenoid is not getting enough current to energise it. This is due to all sorts of cause which might be: low/duff battery, poor connections to battery, poor connections to starter terminal, poor connections to solenoid terminal, poor connection to earth. Is the battery a good one and fully charged? Try cleaning connections and see what happens.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Thanks - does anyone know a firm in London that will deliver a car battery?

M.

Reply to
marcb

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

The message from marcb contains these words:

From the description, it sounds far more likely to be a dodgy connection than a dead battery. You'll feel a right prawn if you replace the battery only to find when it doesn't help that a few minutes with a spanner would have tightened the loose earth strap.

Of course, even if it isn't the battery, replacing it might work - it might be the battery connection that's loose!

Reply to
Guy King

hmmm, beware..... this happened to my V40 a while ago.

Eventually (prolly after a week) it just cut out whilst being driven (fortunately close to home) & had to be recovered. Alternator had packed up & had to be replaced.

I think you need to check the voltage across the battery whilst the car is running - hopefully someone here can say what it should read.

Reply to
RichardS

Are you sure it's the battery?

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

[snip]

If the battery was dud it seems unlikely to me that it would then start a few tries later without charging the battery.

Reply to
David Taylor

"RichardS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Thansk for the warning - am charging the battery first (connections were a bit crusty) and I have a multi-meter so if indeed I can find said voltage...

M.

Reply to
marcb

The message from marcb contains these words:

I'd check the other connections, too. Battery to body, body to engine, battery to starter.

Reply to
Guy King