Will Volvo make a smart move?

Reply to
Richard Bouchard

Both of you have good points... interesting too - especially the sandbags. As I'm in the UK, it is rare that it snows, but when it does it causes complete chaos. The only thing that causes more chaos is fog! Virtually noone has either chains or snow tyres, and pretty much everyone thinks they can just drive as normal and it won't affect them - which usually causes multi-car pileups. If you're over here when it's snowing, I think you'd be shocked at some people's driving! When comparing FWD and RWD, I was thinking of no changes in setup, same tyres as in the dry, just the general ease of driving in the snow which I think my 440 was a little easier than the 740 to control. Having said that, my 440 felt a lot like a tin can - the 740 certainly felt much safer and similar to how you described the 240.

Rgds, Mark

4WD in the field when the roads are icy and windy. Never happened to me, even with 4 seasons. Must admit though that I drive much more carefully than most of them. They probably believe nothing can happen to them, even at 100mph, since they have 4WD (or FWD)! ;)

Richard.

James Sweet a écrit :

Reply to
Mark Seeley

Yeah 740 handles very similarly to a 240. That's kinda scary though, things are similar to that here, but not *quite* that bad. It's the other drivers that definitly scare me more in the snow, I'm confident in my ability to get around, but that doesn't mean some twit in a big SUV won't broadside me because he's doing 40 mph on snow and can't stop at a light.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks Peter . . just the sort of info that I need to know.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.

850 series). | The later ones are based on the S60 and have a much better four wheel drive | system.
Reply to
Jim Kelly

The main problem with the 240 is that it will not meet current Volvo safety standards and can not be made to meet these standards. These standards include:

ABS Side Air Bags Side Impact Standards Offset Impact Standards

Volvo won't sell a car that doesn't meet these standards.

The XC70 received a major redesign in 2001 which eliminated many problems. The main problem areas of earlier models were:

Brake Sysem Electrical System Body Hardware

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Is there a way to recognise the newer design? IE did the bodywork or badges change at this point too?

Interesting web site that you have provided!

Thanks.

| The XC70 received a major redesign in 2001 which eliminated many | problems. The main problem areas of earlier models were: | | Brake Sysem | Electrical System | Body Hardware | snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net |

Jim Kelly

Sure did! The newer V70 is more like the S60 and S80 cars at the front and has a less square-rigged look at the rear. Altogether a much smoother and handsomer look.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Doesn't matter to me. My 94 850 turbo wagon will be my last (new) Volvo. Service manuals and computer fault codes are no longer available to owners on new models. To me, having the complete service data is as necessary as having an engine. Sorry, Volvo, you lost a customer.

Doug Warner

I drove my '93 850 180,000 miles and never had any computer codes or service problems other than a bad AT for which codes were of no help. I had the dealer do all routine maintenance and ran trouble free. If you look back, you will find that cars that are worked on the most have the most problems. Most problems are precipited by previous service. Having expert service prevents most problems.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning