Water in cabin? From rain?

I just picked up a used '98 A4 2.8Q. This weekend it rained and the front and rear floor only on the left side is completely soaked with water. The car is parked on an incline and tilts slight to the left. I am assuming the water came in through the sun roof but I will entertain other ideas.

Are there any gutters that can possibly clog with debris that must be checked periodically?

Thanks, Victor

P.S. Please answer to group.

Reply to
Victor Silva

Check that the door is draining properly - I've had a Rover ("Sterling", for those on the other side of the Pond) that leaked into the rear footwell when the drain holes were blocked. Leaked until it was *full*!

I've had it *once* on a TT (bad combination - roof hadn't been reproofed (hard to pick a rain-free weekend in England..!), a poor window seal (when the car was inclined - just needed to lubricate the glass-rubber seal), and a blocked drain hole in the door.

If *any* of the three hadn't been present, I probably wouldn't have known.. HTH, but YMMV.

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Not sure if an A4 is same as A6. But there is a drain hole below the battery in an A6 which blocks then the chamber fills and eventually leaks into the cabi on the left hand side??

Could be worth a look

Reply to
sag

Put together a memory saver today and plugged it into the cigarette lighter. I removed the battery and found two drain holes about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, they were clean.

Any other ideas? Where does the water that enters the sunroof seam exit? The seam is only made of a felt like material, it can't stop all water from entering. Is there an internal gutter in the roof that exits near the trunk?

Reply to
Victor Silva

============================================================== From the Bentley CD:

Sunroof water drain hoses, cleaning

Notes: For cleaning, it is recommended that you create your own assisting tool out of a speedometer inner cable, approx. 2300 mm (90.5 in.) long.

Front water drain hoses

-Front water drain hoses are routed in the A-pillars and exit above the lower hinge of front door.

They can be cleaned from the sunroof cut-out.

Rear water drain hoses

- Rear water drain hoses are routed in the C-pillars and exit behind the bumper cover at the side. They can be cleaned from the lower end of the hose. To do so, rear bumper cover must be removed. ================================================================

I put a quick'n'dirty pdf of the pertinent Bentley pages here:

cheers

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks. This must be it. I don't have an old speedo cable, but I get the idea. I appreciate the .pdf.

Reply to
Victor Silva