'01 Jetta Brake Follow-Up

Thanks again for your replies to my earlier post. Rolled up the sleeves yesterday and did the work -- was amazed to find that the front pads had plenty of life in them, but the rears were worn right down to the backing plates. Scanning through old posts from this group, I found that this is not uncommon -- also learned that you have to rotate the caliper piston, not just clamp it. Oy!

Now, here's the latest question -- the front rotors appear to be glazed, they are polished as smooth as glass. I've never seen rotors that didn't have grooves or some sign of wear, I'm not kidding, these are just as smooth as glass. What is this all about? Should I have them turned just to restore some texture on their surfaces? Are the pads likely glazed, too?

Reply to
Brian Running

That's normal, you could turn the rotors but in a few 1000 miles they will look the same as now.

Reply to
Woodchuck