'05 jetta ignition key switch

ok. I am a stumped by a 2005 jetta ignition. The key will not enter the cylinder. There is a slide visible in the keyway, usually this is the switch for the "key is in the ignition" chime. The slide appears to be getting stuck. I can't imagine this is the first time this has happened. Before I take the switch out, has anyone else seen this and what can cause/repair this. I can order a new cylinder or even remove the indicator. Last time if happened I soaked it with WD-40 and used a lock pick to free the slide. The key entered and if has been fine for a week or so.

Reply to
jimmythelock

ok. I am a stumped by a 2005 jetta ignition. The key will not enter the cylinder. There is a slide visible in the keyway, usually this is the switch for the "key is in the ignition" chime. The slide appears to be getting stuck. I can't imagine this is the first time this has happened. Before I take the switch out, has anyone else seen this and what can cause/repair this. I can order a new cylinder or even remove the indicator. Last time if happened I soaked it with WD-40 and used a lock pick to free the slide. The key entered and if has been fine for a week or so.

Reply to
jimmythelock

There is practically no uses for WD40 on a car. Certainly not for locks. TriFlow or graphite would be much better choices for locks. WD40 is more of a solvent than a lubricant. Diesel fuel will lubricate but not like oil. You might think of oill and diesel similar to Triflow or graphite versus WD40.

No idea >ok. I am a stumped by a 2005 jetta ignition. The key will not enter

Reply to
Jim Behning

If the temperature is really cold, you might heat up the lock with an electric heater.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

My wife drives a 2005 Jetta and she just called me with this same problem. This is the second time its happened. The first time the tow truck driver solved the problem with a small screwdriver (not sure how) and when confronting the VW dealer, they said if there is no problem now, they won't even look at it. This time we are towing it to the dealer without attempting to fix it so they can see the problem first-hand. Have you had any further problems with the ignition or found out the cause?

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
timothyjp

You need to have the ignition lock replaced. this is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. the dealer has to look at it when you want an appointment even if nothing is wrong at that time. this way the issue has a traceable history and if the problem occurs after the warranty period the part can be covered. ignition switches are failing so often that the dealers have been issued loaner locks for the customer to use untill the correct keyed lock can come in from the factory.

Reply to
LG

This is a fairly common problem. I have replaced many of those switchs under warranty.

Reply to
Craig

Duralube is excellent for locks.

Reply to