B4 vr6 woes

Hi Drivers -

The Serpentine belt on my B4 Passat VR6 (AAA engine) broke the other day, causing me to lose power steering and alternator. I coaxed the car on battery down the road a quarter mile to the next parking lot where the engine finally died. The battery was completely dead. I pushed the car into a space and went off to get parts.

I went out today and put in a new serpentine belt and a tensioner (the old one caused the belt to shred) and jumped the car to start it. It took a little revving on the other car to get the motor to finally turn, but once it did the engine started right up. Only problem is that once I take my foot off of the gas the engine dies. Did this several times, always with the same result. I was freezing and had to get home, so I left it again.

I'm gonna go back tomorrow and try to puzzle it out, but does this sound familiar to any of you? The engine was working perfectly before the belt crapped out. Could the dead battery account for the problem?

Any ideas for me to think about?

TIA - Chris

Reply to
starburst

Yes, the dead battery could be at fault now , and likely.

Reply to
samstone

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

check to see if the belt damaged any of the vacuum lines or pipe going to the MAF. I don't think that year needs the adaptation done.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks to all - it was the battery. Went back with a spare, popped it in and drove away a minute later. Whew. No throttle adaptation was necessary, though I had to clear the codes after the misses as the battery went dead. This engine actually came out of a 98 Jetta, still AAA - If you all recall I siezed one of the cams in this passat last winter and spent several months of weekends to R&R with a newer engine from a local boneyard. Only annoying problem was that the cam position sensor was different on the newer engine, so I had to replace the upper timing chain cover with the old one and use the old wiring harness. It's been a terrific swap, btw, hasn't lost a drop of oil in 8 months. Pretty cool.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Chris

Reply to
starburst