Auto Glass Replacement

I have a '91 golf and it was broken into yesterday. They broke the hatch window and the passenger window. I was just scouting out a few
replacement places and it looks like it'll cost ~300 for the rear window and ~250 for the passenger installed. That's a bit more than I'd like to pay.
Any ideas on how to lower this cost? I was thinking I could get replacement windows from a junkyard (a local junkyard has a few 89-91 golf/jettas). Do you think that the glass places would install them? (If they would, what windows/years/models are interchangeable?) I doubt I could do the rear window myself, but how about the passenger?
-Matt
It's interesting to note that for whatever reason they only stole my sub ($90) and bluetooth headset ($20) while leaving my stereo, tool bag, ti89, ipod, checkbook and thermo textbook (which were all in a bag that had clearly been rifled through) and all of which could probably have landed ~$100 per...
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 30, 3:19 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is not terribly difficult to install the glass yourself. Have you considered that option?
Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA
Add pictures here
✖
yea, that's sort of what I was asking. My main concern was with setting the rear glass, I've seen the guys doing windshields and it looks like a pretty delicate process where you have to set it on the glue 'just right'. Also, what years/models use the same glass? I have a '91 4door hatch, would glass from any car (golf and jetta, or just golf? from '89 -'91 work?).
thanks, Matt
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 30, 7:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If it is a simple grommet-mount, there should be no problems at all. If it is glued flush-mount, the key is cleaning away the old glue (from both parts) and getting an even fit across the entire edge.
I have no clue as to what size fits which vehicle. I would ask at VW for that information, or your friendly glass dealer, or at the junkyard itself.
It is MUCH more difficult to remove the glass intact than it is to install it, by the way, so care, good gloves, eye protection and patience are the keys. Did I mention good gloves? Eye protection?
Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the help. I just finished calling every yard in town and no one has any windows for my year (88-92 are all the same). So it looks like I'll be going with service anyways.
thanks, Matt
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If this is an A2 chassis, the rear glass is the old style and definitely within your capabilities. The rear side glass is the same, not sure if by "passenger" window you mean the quarter window or door window. Door window is probably DIYable but I've never done that.
I'd keep looking, maybe post to the vortex or something, see if someone has a parts car local to you or can ship. (if money is a more pressing issue than getting it fixed quickly, that is.)
While the hatch window is busted, I would remove the gasket and clean it up very well, and examine the lip on the hatch for any signs of rust. If any found paint the lip with POR-15 or similar - even if you have a pro replace the glass. Same goes for the quarter window, if that is the one that needs to be replaced.
I R&R'd both the hatch window and rear quarter window on my '89 GTI myself with no problems, and I'm far from the most experienced glass guy (the hatch to repair some rust that was starting, and the quarter window because some kids busted it out after I sold it and the new owner was also a friend of mine.) I did have a pro replace the windshield, but I busted the old one out myself and painted the lip so that I wouldn't have any rust/leak problems.
If you decide to tackle this yourself post back and I'll go into more detail about what I think is the easy way to replace the old style glass.
good luck
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    I've done all the windows on my Golfs at one time or another. As far as I know, all glass on the A2 (85-91) cars in the same with two exceptions. GTI hatch glass has two holes in the top for the rear upper spoiler. Front door glass is different depending on if you have small window doors (85-89) or big window doors (90-92).
    The hatch glass is a standard rubber seal. No urethane adhesives needed.     This page: http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/installing-back-glass/112212 shows how to use some thin rope/twine to install a window. Very easy, best done with two people.     As for the passenger window, the rear fixed glass on a two-door is the same type of rubber gasket. Use the same procedure as on the hatch.     The rollup window glass in a door is fairly easy to do. Door panels come off, interior and exterior window rubber trim come off, couple of bolts hold the glass to the window regulator.     The fixed window in a door isn't too hard either. Door panels come off, some rubber trim comes off, then it's a screw or two and it pops out.
    www.car-part.com is an online database of junkyards. Search for your part and you'll get a list of yards that show it in stock.
Todd
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@racertodd.com wrote:

instead of rope, I prefer to use appx. 16AWG wire. just my personal preference.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
✖
There's a few places online that will sell you good, used glass. I ordered the rear quarter window for mine and it came with all the rubber and everything. You can do it!
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 30, 3:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Try these people and good luck. http://www.autoglassguru.com/state-NJ.html
Add pictures here
✖
Unfortunately the days of fitting replacement windows yourself with the string etc are over. In most cars now the windows are part of the load bearing structure, are glued in . In my Hyundais/Subarus any way. I,d certainly chase a 2nd hand one from a wreckers but I think you may be best getting it installed by "experts". 2nd hand are about 1/3 new price and cost ~$120 (Aust) = $80 USA. John
Add pictures here
✖