1993 TD Timing belt

Hi all, i have replaced my timing belt after getting some headwork done, it all runs well but the timing belt seems to be sliding off the injection pump sprocket. I made sure that the belt was tight, as I sid the car runs great but I am woried that that belt will come off and ..... :-(

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

And when it does your in big time trouble. You must live in the US as we didn't get VW diesels after 92 untill the passat tdi in 96 and few of them. But if yours is the older, non tdi, one then check the pump mounting bracket. As I recall there was problems with that back in the rabbit days. Also could the mounting stud the tenioner is mounted on possibly have gotten bent when the head was off?

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

The only part where the timing belt seems to be sliding off is at the pump, I have now put 200km on the car and where the belt should be in the middle of the sprocket it is about 1mm over the edge of the sprocket. I did loosen the tention in the belt and move the belt ot the correct position and with in a few revolutions of the engine it goes out on the edge again. What could be wrong with the pump bracket?

Thanks, George.

Jo Bo wrote:

Reply to
George

Some of them old TDI's the belt would ride close to the edge but not over. Where does the belt ride on the camshaft sprocket?

Reply to
Woodchuck

mine is a turbo diesel not a TDI :-( , but it rides in the proper place on the cam sprocket

George.

Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
George