1994 jetta locks fell out...

hi, both the driver and passenger door locks have broken and come out on my

1994 jetta. i felt a little "snap/crack" before the locking unit came free and stuck on my key.

question: how easy is it to fix? i don't want to take the door panel off unless i know it's going to be a relatively easy fix.

any help? jun

Reply to
golgo13

So the cylinder came out. Don't lose the little pieces that fit into the slots on the side of the cylinder. You will reuse those. Don't lose track of which goes in which slot, although you could later infer it from your key.

Relatively easy. Go to the dealer's parts desk, and explain briefly. They will recognize the condition, and will sell some parts to fix it. If you are lucky, they will explain it a bit. If not, do some looking on the web. It is very common, and I am confident somebody has described it well. What is unusual is for them to break at the same time.

This set of parts will include a new cylinder, and a piece that connects the cylinder to the door latch.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

If you don't have one, get a Bentley service manual for your specific car. It should provide the necessary instructions. I know that for some VW models, it is not necessary to remove the door panels.

Reply to
Papa

have some description.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Easy. Don't pull off the door panel unless you just have an undying desire to see the inside of the door. It's not necessary.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol