1997 Jetta Problem

The wife and I own a 97 Jetta. We have had some problems with it but overall we are very happy with its performance.

I will relate the short version of the story and perhaps some of you may be able to give me some direction on where to go or what to do.

Due to some problems with the alarm we have opted to disconnet the alarm from the brain (I guess thats what you call it) behind the head light switch. I have had to fashion a jumper to allow the car to start. It has run great and still does, only no factory alarm. Which is fine by us (that damn thing seemed to have a mind of its own.) Although now, fuse 21 (the one that controls the clock, dome lights, trunk lid and power roof) is blowing. this has happened before and was taken to a vw dealership who reportedly fixed the problem but alas..........NOT. The little dashboard icon that a door is open is on all the time and I can't seem to find a short anywhere nor do even know where to look. Anyway, if any of you have any advice, tricks or knowledge on the subject. let me know. I am at a loss.

Erik Larsen

Reply to
Erik Larsen

Stevan

When in doubt, disconnect. Take a drill with a long bit and drill a hole write into the open door icon until you hit and break the light. Problem solved just like your disconnected alarm. As for the fuse, just pull that, since you don't need those items either...

Reply to
Peter Parker