Clutch problems!

After removing and replacing a worn out clutch in an 81 Rabbit diesel, I reinstalled the transmission and when I went to hook up the clutch cable, found that there was hardly any resistance lifting the clutch lever on tranny until it was almost near the top. I removed the tranny again and compared the clutch with the old one and everything looked identicle. Its almost as if the clutch pushrod is too short but obviously it did not change. What happend? When I checked the release bearing, it seemed to work fine. Any ideas?

Reply to
Gary Knakoske

Once you get to the resistance at the top, how much more travel do you have?

You did put the little disc in the middle of the clutch assembly and secured it with the circlip, right?

Also, did you replace the pressure plate? If the old one is still in there, maybe it is old and tired. When I moved my clutch lever with my trans out of the car, there was very little resistance. I think most of the force required is from the pressure plate once everything is bolted back together.

Hopefully someone else will have a better answer...

Reply to
tylernt

Reply to
Gary Knakoske