1999 Passat V6 coolant temp sensor

Looks like I'll need to swap out my coolant temperature sensor. I called a couple of local VW dealers and found out there are two part numbers available for the sensor I need. The "old" part number 078 919 501B goes for $23 and the "new" part number 059 919 501 goes for $48. Any gearheads out there know why the "new" one costs twice as much? Is it a better, more reliable part? Or is VW just repackaging and repricing their parts?

Reply to
Cort S

Could have 2 styles in your car. The blue colored one gets replaced by the same color, unless something new has come out. The black one gets replaced by the new green sensor. What is the color in your car now?

Reply to
Woodchuck

That's just it - I have the blue sensor, and the dealer has two part numbers for the blue sensor, an old number and a new number, where the new part number is 2X the price of the old one! I'm just wondering if anyone knows what caused the steep price increase...

"Woodchuck" wrote in news:7c2e6$42f180ee$41c713a1$ snipped-for-privacy@SALSGIVER.COM:

Reply to
Cort S