2000 Jetta VR6 muffler noise

I get an increadible noise as the speed increases to freeway speeds. At 80 mph it is deafening. I think it may be the exhaust system, but I am not sure. It does not seem to do this at high revolutions while parked. Any thoughts out there?

Reply to
jaygray

Have you ruled out wheel bearing noise ? That would be my first thought for noise that goes up and down with speed but doesn't necessarily follow RPMs.

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau

Not sure about your vehicle. Differential gears wear or may get out of line from the pinion gear. Sounds like "wa ah ah ah", and can be very loud. Not usually very noticable in town.

The noise is obviously part of the running gear, wheels, brakes etc.

Reply to
Jonny