2001 Jetta shift problem

Sometimes when I try to put my automatic jetta 2001 into gear I have a problem. When I depress the brake pedal the shifter will not unlock. It can take up to five minutes at times until I can get going. The ecc light is popping on as well. Any relation?

Thank you, Newbaum

Reply to
newbaum

When this happens see if your brakes light are also not on. It's a bad brake light switch and there is a recall which may involve your car.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Woodchuck....I've had my brake light switch brake twice in the last 16 months, do you know the recall issue? #? website?

I'm just looking to get some money back. $~103 each time it broke.

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
newbaum

You need to check the last letter of the part number and if it's a C or D you already got the new switch. If you have receipts I bet VW will refund your money as they have done in the past.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Pencilneck

You are right! The brake light does not activate when this problem occurs. When I finally get into gear the brake light functions properly.

Thanks for the help, Newbaum

Reply to
newbaum