92 Cabriolet heater core, it's supposed to be easy!?!?

I could really use some insight into this by someone who's done it. The heater core is accessible through a slot in the side of the heater box on the drivers side but it can only come out 4 inches before it runs into the pedal assemblies. I figured when I first looked at it that VW had smartened up and made the heater core easey to re/re but then it all went to poop when I actually started the job. For starters the spring clamps were oriented into the dash so there was no way I could get pliers on to them. So I took it into the shop so they could cut off the clamps and then easily remove the heater core. But then they couldn't figure out how to easily remove it so they just bypassed it for me. Iwould think that the slot in the side of the heater box meant that you didn't have to take the whole heater box out anymore to do the core. Does anyone know if there is some magic way that VW thought to re/re the core without cutting the box all up and then gluing it back together? That's what I think I'll resort to if I can't figure anything else out.

Thanks a million if you can help,

-Andrew

P.S. I almost forgot, I want to replace the the thermostat too but it looks like I have to take off a whole bunch of brackets and stuff. The Bentley says "just take it off" LOL Right!!!!. I don't actually find that funny.

Reply to
DruG

I don't have any first hand knowledge fixing this myself, but if I remember correctly there was a recall on one of my VWs a long time ago (maybe on my 88), and the shop time was phenomenal compared to the parts. If my memory serves correctly they needed to pull the whole dash out to get at it properly. I do remember at least the center console being removed.

HTH. Good Luck with it. z

Reply to
zatatime

On my 88 Fox, they used a 3 hose (one relatively small hose) device to relieve running pressure to the heater core. It was a result of the recall of heater cores leaking inside the passenger compartment.

Reply to
Jonny