vr6 longevity?

I have a 2002 GTI VR6, and am just wondering on any ideas as to the longevity and so on with this car. I just recently moved, and am now commuting around 800 miles per week (almost all highway). The car has about

20K already, and I will be putting nearly 40K more in the next year with work. Any major repairs to expect with higher mileages? I would like to keep the car beyond 100, maybe even 150K.

Thanks for the insight,

Wil

Reply to
dmbvdubber

With that mileage I would buy a diesel ;-).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I've seen them blow up with 14 miles and others with well over 150,000 miles. The only worry is if the timing chain breaks then you have a bunch of bent valves. If I owned one then I would be thinking of replacing the chains/tensioners/guides about 125,000 miles. Most of them start making odd noises when things get older... kinda a whinny type noise.

Reply to
Woodchuck

that might have been an option, but i've already had the car a year, and we just moved last month.

my old commute was about 25 miles each way, now it's over 60. although as long as it sees regular scheduled maintenance, i would think any problems should be spotted early.

now it is time fo go to work ;-(

peace...

...wil

Reply to
dmbvdubber

well i've got almost 20,000. now if i can get another 130,000 i'll be real happy, although i just might be trading it in for a new jetta cabrio... i hope... to park next to wife's touareg... i hope...

peace...

...wil

Reply to
dmbvdubber

colorado red v6, basic model (no xtras). picked it up 2 months ago... no problems yet (knocking on wood right now)

why? what should i be wary of?

peace...

Reply to
dmbvdubber

That's the problem, the Toureg is too new to have people know what the problem will be.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I've had my 2001 VR6 since it was new and I have ~50k miles on it. Its worn well except for the minor transmission problems in the beginning (Typical Automatic tranny probs)... tires need replacement VERY soon... other than that, it runs like a dream. I'm hoping mine will hold out until over 100K miles.

Reply to
KB

Reply to
Claude Miller
95 Passat, 95K, runs strong, uses a quart of oil every 2500-3000 (has since it was new), no major failures.

I was gonna trade up after 10 years, but now I'm thinking...150+k?

Reply to
CSS

If the air-conditioner coolant has leaked out the a/c has a switch to keep it from trying to come on. Like a "low a/c oil level switch". If you jump this and the a/c starts to work (even if it doesn't blow cold air)the the a/c coolant level is low and you could try recharge it. Bentley's has a check for this that I can try find for you. Seems most leaks come from the condenser (that small radiator looking thing in front of the real radiator). They're about $350 to replace, never heard of anyone repairing them although I don't see why not.

Reply to
Charon

No the system will cool but only when the car is at idle. Seems like the compressor is switching off when the tach is above 2500 or so. Cooling at idle isn't great but it will drop from 80F to about 65. Have the Bentley manual and tried the jump at the pressure switch but it shouldn't be an issue since the conpressor seems to be on at idle. Whats a little strange is that I bought one of those kits with a gauge (low press side) and it gives normal readings at idle.

If you have a 95 VR6 I'd be curious if you have a relay in position 1 and is it marked 13? The manual says it should be there but I don't seem to have it and I don't know if it ever existed.

Reply to
Scott

I have a 1995 VR6 Passat with 135K miles. Motor is absolutely solid. I change the oil and filter every 4-5000 miles and have never had to add a drop between changes.

-s

Reply to
Steve Thompson