96 VW GOLF Turbo Diesel Problem

My idle is erratic. It races up to sometimes 2700 rpm when idling even though the engine has been running for hours.

sometimes it goes down to normal idle.

Someone told me that it was the temperature sensor that is shot.

Any thoughts? thanks

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
NG Guy

\What is the mileage? How long have you owned ?

Reply to
Horace

It has about 170,000 KM on it and i have owned since new.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
NG Guy

Didn't get one of those in the states but I'll take a stab at it. First check that the throttle arm isn't sticking. That wouldn't make the idle climb but it would make it hang. A little WD-40 on the pivot usually fixes that. I'm not aware of any temp sensors that have any control over the non TDI pumps. For the idle to increase, you need more fuel. The only things that would do that is some kind of restriction or such happening in the pump, or oil getting sucked into the intake. Check for using proper oil, clogged breather in the valve cover, dirty air or fuel filter, air in the fuel line, etc. Loren

Reply to
LBaird119