97 Jetta Transmission Seal problems

recently my jetta started leaking transmission fluid from where the drivers side drive flange goes into the transmission. I took the halfshaft out and when inspecting it noticed that it was missing a seal where the flange meets the transmission. I noticed this because there was a seal on the passenger side and not on the drivers side. But inside where the halfshaft goes into the transmission i noticed a rubber gasket or something. I tried taking this out thinking that it was the faulty part needing to be replaced but could not remove it. I ended up buying a seal and putting the halfshaft back on the car. Upon inspection of the car both sides now look the same where the halfshafts go into the transmission. But upon driving the car the drivers side is still leaking. I am confused as to what to do because im not sure what I did wrong. I'm not sure if I installed something incorrectly or what. I like working on cars but I'm not all that knowledgeable about everything so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
PlayDoh419