A2 Instrument Cluster

Hey Everyone...
Will an instrument cluster from an '87 Jetta work in a '90 Jetta?
Thanks,
Peter

Pete Cressman
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com

I believe I have a few A2 instrument clusters all with differences including the wiring plug. I could be wrong though! ;-)

Not totally sure, but if I were you I'd at least make sure that they don't have the upshift lights. AFAIK, no Digifant Jetta had the upshift light whereas the CIS cars (some? all?) did.
Also the '90 is a CEII car and the '87 is not...that also might be a noticeable issue.
Browsing through the wiring diagrams, it seems several different connector pinouts have been used on A2. I'd very carefully compare the connector pinouts on both before attempting the swap.
Pete Cressman wrote:

Whats broken that you have to change? I believe in most cases that the printed circuit will transfer over. But I have replaced many a speedometer because it quit. I went to the local boneyard and matched up the same options. The VDO # I think is the most important part. I try to match that or at least try to find the one that reads the same MAX speed ie (canadian models) max speed 200km, get one that matches that. which raises another question??? Why do canadian models only display kmph and not mph?? Damn metric, have to do my math when I drive U.S speed limits... Just a rant nevermind.
Tristen
86 golf 88 westfalia

Because the Canadian Clusters are European custers....when the A2s were in production, it was cheaper to make 2 instrument clusers, one metric and one metric/imperial....