ATF

What type of ATF should I use in my 1986 1/2 Quantum? I don't have an owners manual and there is no VW dealer in my town. The local auto parts store gave me a bottle of ATF but I did not put it in because it is a red color and the color of the fluid on my dipstick is yellow. Help

CO

Reply to
I'm a Movie

Hello

I had exactly the same problem on my 1.8l 1991 Jetta. The filler cap says Dexron, as does the owners manual, and the Chilton book. Except the fluid was greenish Yellow.

I asked here, and nobody really knew, as the previous owner could have put anything in the car, so I checked the Wynn's Tranny book, and another tranny book from CT, and for my particular car , the fluid was called SLF (Special Lubricant Fluid). I couldnt find many references to it on the internet. I went to my garage, and luckily they had some. Otherwise, not easy to find around here.

PS I wonder if it the same as the synthetic fluid VW sells for $27 a litre.

Good luck

Reply to
Jason