bettle window actuator broken.

A buddy of mine owns a NB - I believe it was the first year of the NB, whenever that was. He has had to replace both window actuators, at a cost of about $300 each since he bought his car (all work done at a vw dealership). When he told me about this I checked into it only to discovered all the posts mentioning this very common problem on this newsgroup. Is there anyway he can get his $ back from vw-america? What course of action, who should he complain to, to get his $ back? The original work was performed in Atlanta but he now lives in Boston so dealing with the original dealership is probably not feasible. Any/all suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin kevinhorgan1 "at" netscape.net

Reply to
Kevin Horgan

The window regulators are FREE but if you mean the window motors they may not be. Best thing for him to do is contact VW at their 800 phone number to see if they will reimbursed the repair fee.

suggestions

Reply to
Woodchuck

He should find the receipts and call VWoA, since there was a warranty extension to seven years on the window regulators. Since he presumably did not get any letter on this matter in late 2002 (probably due to moving or buying a used car without informing VWoA), he should also inform VWoA of his address if he wants to receive any future letters on warranty extensions, recalls, etc..

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

We did not get any notification on our 2000 Jetta 1.8T and bought it new and have not moved. Must be one of those if it breaks, then we will fix it, but mums the word until that time. The drivers side regulator busted. After pulling the thing apart one Saturday evening, found that the cable pulled loose from a nylon insert. Don't know why they would put such a cheap part in an area of constant stress when opening and closing the window. Finding no parts at the local auto stores, I called the dealer the following Monday. They said that it was covered under extended warranty like you said with an upgraded part (metal I hope). So, just threw all the stuff in the trunk and took it down. They are also upgrading the passenger side while in there, but not the back windows. Guess they think they are not opened and closed as much and will last longer.

Reply to
el lobo

Rear window regulators are made different and thus not a problem.

Reply to
Woodchuck