BUZZING SOUND COMES ON WHEN OIL TEMP GOES PAST HALF WAY

mark. When I step on gas it stops for a while. It may come on again if car is going slow but if it at a speed where air is coming in then it doesnt come on. Any one know what this is? The car is Jetta '89. Please help if you can...thx

Reply to
mizmoe

Your most likely running 10-30 or 10-40 motor oil. For that vintage VW's thicker oil was specified for above 50 f as I remember. 20-30 would be more suited for warm weather in that vintage. But the reason is the oil pumps were weak. You can put a pump off a mark 3 vw engine on and you'll then be able to run the thinner oil. I once bought a Brazilian made, VW branded pump intended for the 93 and up 2.0L engine for $80 on line and cured the problem on a 92 jetta. It also ran better because the lifters had enough oil pressure to them.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
Regal53

Look here. The newer pumps have larger gears.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
Regal53

thanks so much...appreciate the help = )

Reply to
mizmoe