Bypassing the stereo lockout on a 1987 GTI

I just purchased a 1987 GTI with 123,000 original miles on it from the original owner. The problem is, I didn't realize that the stock stereo evidently has gone into an "anti-theft" mode as the word "SAFE" is the only thing that will come in the LCD display and it appears to be stuck on one station. I can't seem to track down the original owner and my next step was the dealership but I wanted to try here fist. It does appear that the main plastic knob has broken as someone tried to glue it into place with what appears to be body filler...huh...strange.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
David Craig