Stereo install, 1987 GTi (USA)

I am trying to install a hand-me-down Blaupunkt stereo in my 1987 GTi. The stereo is from around 1999 and has a detachable face plate. At the

web site it says that a stereo withdetachable face plate can not be installed in this car. I don't want tolet that stop me.

I have removed the dash trim piece that surrounds the stereo, climate controls and instrument cluster. If I slide in the DIN installation sleeve it does not sit straight, it is pushed too far in at the top. Right above the stereo opening (behind the dash trim) there are two screw holes. It is obvious by inspection that these have been used at some point, but nothing is mounted here now. Am I missing a piece here that would give the DIN sleeve the correct spacing at the top?

Also the front panel of the stereo is too large to fit inside the opening for the stereo in the dash trim piece. Did the front plate of the factory radio sit behind the dash trim?

I bought the car used and do not have the original factory radio. The unit that was in the car when I got it was a poorly installed vintage Blaupunkt, so I do not have any references on how the stereo is supposed to sit.

I tried

but found nothing about the A2. (Whatdo you expect, the spell the brand "Volkswagon"). Any and all hint and ideas are most welcome.

Reply to
Randolph

I had a 1986 VW GTi (extremely similar to the 1987), and was able to install a detachable faceplate in-dash CD, though it was a very tight fit.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Randolph wrote: : I am trying to install a hand-me-down Blaupunkt stereo in my 1987 GTi. : The stereo is from around 1999 and has a detachable face plate. At the :

[...]

I installed a Blaupunkt BPV655 which has a removeable faceplate in my 86 GTI. I did not remove the dash trim piece, as the sleeve fit inside it ok.

They will fit.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

No. The holes are intended for OEM/type installation.

Reply to
BMA

Thanks to all who replied. Armed with the info you provided and after a field trip to the local auto wrecker I now have the stereo installed.

I could have slipped the installation sleeve in through the dash trim as suggested, but the previous owner have broken off so many parts of the dash trim that the sleeve would not be supported. I ended up cutting away the lip at the base of the dash trim on both sides and was able to get it to fit around the front of the stereo. To get the mounting sleeve to sit at the right angle I cut a piece of ABS to size and mounted it above the radio opening using the two screw holes for the factory radio.

BMA wrote:

Reply to
Randolph