changing an airbag slip ring

my airbag light is on all the time the ignition is on. Took it to vw and they said the fault was the slip ring in the driver side airbag. they want £90 for the part and £97 to fit it I've read on some sites that the problem can sometimes be solved by lubricating the ring or resitting it - anyone know somewhere that has clear instructions on how to do this? I replaced the combination switch a few months agon and the airbag light problem started about a month or so after that is the slip ring on the back of the steering wheel? the, what looks like, a solid copper/brass ring which connects to a connector on the steering column?

thanks for any help

passat 2 auto m reg

Reply to
Bodhran