Check engine light

Hello,

I have a 2001 Golf GLS, the check engine light just came on (37796 miles). Does anyone know what it could be? The engine seems to run fine, sound fine and I did not lose any power.Also no smells from the exhaust system.

Thank you Volker

Reply to
Riedlinger

I think the prudent advice is wait till you notice a real problem unless you are rolling in $$$, in that case go get the computer readout at a mechanic.

As an example mine came on after a bad start in really wet weather where the ignition misfired slightly. It takes 17 normal starts for the light to reset itself spaced over a 10 day period (or something like that.)

I truly believe its programmed to be a $$$ maker for the dealership.

OTOH if you are under warranty & can spare the downtime go for it!

...eric

Reply to
eric w

That light comes on for any of about 100 issues that could be wrong from not having a tight gas cap to more serious problems. Got to have the fault code before any guess can be made.

Reply to
Woodchuck

why would such a new car, with such low kilometers have any sort of problem to begin with. ?

Reply to
dontbeleivethis