Correct VW coolant for a 98 GTI vr6?

Well I did some research and found out that the older cars use blue g-11, and the newer use red G-12. My reservoir says G12, so that's what I need. I got from the dealer what I was told is red g12, but it looks purple to me. it is part#g012a8Fa4 I looked it up and it is listed on

as "Antifreeze ( Purple )" What is the difference between this and g012a8Da1? Is it ok to mix the Purple and Red? Thanks,

-Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Consolazio

Coolant FAQ I banged out a while back:

I guess one thing that should be pointed out... *maybe* you can purchase a gallon of "purple".

Reply to
Pencilneck

Thanks for the info, I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the VW tech support number and they claim that the g012a8Fa4 is the correct coolant to use and that it is purple and replaces/is compatable with the pink g012a8da1.

-Anthony

Coolant FAQ I banged out a while back:

I guess one thing that should be pointed out... *maybe* you can purchase a gallon of "purple".

Reply to
Anthony Consolazio Jr.

You state in your FAQ "Not to worry about numbers like G11 and G12"

Surely this is odd advise as VW clearly mark late model coolant reservoirs as " G12"

nosmo

Reply to
nosmo