Crack in body .

Hello everyone.I have a 2000 gti glx,and about 4 days ago I took off from a stop sign,and I heard a loud pop from underneaeth my car at first I thougt it was a broken swaybar,but when I put a little hard acceleration in 1,2,or third gear car would pull hard to the left. I put it on the lift at meineke auto shop,and found out that I have a crack around right control arm bushing. My question is my warranty good for repair of this damage,car has 60,000 miles,and can it be fixed . The two mechanics plus myself were astonished that the metal around control arm is paper thin.no thicker than a butter knife of aluminum texture.

Reply to
BIGDETROITD

What warranty, 2000 had 2 year/24,000 miles? What you need to do is have the VW rep look at your car once the dealer confirms the issue.

Reply to
Woodchuck

That will depend on what the warrantee says. I doubt it, I suspect your warrantee is up, but check what it says.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My warranty states 100,000 miles or 10 years for body panels such as fenders and exterior of car due to rust or corrosion.My problem is damage to bottom of car which is still the body regardless. I did not run over any obstacle to do this damage.All I can tell you I live in NYC which has been picked as having the worst roads in the USA no doubt about it. I hear people on this ng saying your shocks should last 80,000 to

100,000 miles.NYC you get a half life on all shocks and suspension components. Driving on these roads in this city is like offroad driving,absolutely terrible.
Reply to
BIGDETROITD

Hi Woodchuck.I just read the manual,and it stated that I have 12 years from time of purchase on corrosion peforation no matter what miileage.

Reply to
BIGDETROITD

I remember a Rabbit Convertible that had hit an enormous pothole here in chicago. It cracked the left front suspension horn and the left wheel could be pulled out from under the car. It showed no 'visible' damage and I had to describe to the body shop where the damage was. I believed this car was junked. :-(

I hope you have better luck!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

i dont believe many at all in this group say that struts will last 80-100K miles. For sport struts on performance models, I think 40k-50k miles is excellent...

Reply to
Biz

Thanks Dave for the luck.

Reply to
BIGDETROITD

This is not corrosion, though. Take it to your dealer & if they say it's not covered then take it to a local reputable body shop. It shouldn't cost much at all to have a reinforcement plate (peice of scrap thickwall tubing?) welded over the crack. Perhaps not a bad idea to do both sides... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Took the car to vw today,and the tech said I was missing subframe bolt on right side,and this stressed out body around right control arm bushing. He said it could be welded,but now I am waiting for vwoa to see if they will grant me warranty service. I do not believe I should pay anything cause bolt should have never dropped out.I hear on vw vortex about this bolt dropping out on a few cars frequently for some reason.

Reply to
BIGDETROITD

I have never had one do that in our shop. Curious, did the car ever have any work in which the subframe or suspension was removed?

Reply to
Woodchuck

No sir,subframe was never removed.

Reply to
BIGDETROITD

Must of been a German Hoilday the day your's was made!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I guess so.

Reply to