Dancing yuppie morons in Jetta ad

The most irritating TV spot I've seen in years is the recent Jetta ad showing a flaky-looking young couple dancing and jumping around on the floor, annoying their downstairs neighbor. They keep smiling like dopes and don't care when he complains. There's something about the look of these people that seems designed to irritate.

After pissing off the neighbor (it gets passed off as humor), these two stupid flakes are shown moving to a bigger house with a new subwoofer and doing the same thing to their neighbors. The ad doesn't seem to note that bass carries through walls to other houses; or maybe the point is confused.

I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who only care about their own shallow fun.

Not A Yuppie

Reply to
Not a Yuppie

I think that says it all. I believe the commercial alienates more potential buyers than it attracts.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The commercial with the business folks in the Jetta on the way to the airport is quite funny, though -- where the young guy is driving and the VIP in the passenger seat says "let's check the sports scores" and is greeted with death metal when he turns the stereo on.

Michael

Reply to
Michael A. Vickers

It's just another commercial that says "Our customers are idiots".

For some reason, it's the latest thing.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

This isn't a new phenomenon. Remember GTi in tree? Or the "well done" Jetta commercial (with the two dudes sunburned on opposite sides of their faces and arms)? Aren't these examples of older commercials indicating "idiocy of customers"?

Frankly, I thought those commercials were funny. And I know several non-vw freaks who think so too.

What's my point?

I don't think that vw's intent is to insult their potential clientele - remember the adage that there's no such thing as bad publicity? The purpose of any commercial is to make people notice the product. And I think in VW's case, it's working. Wouldn't you agree?

Reply to
1.8 Turbo

I preferred the old "What does the man who drives the snowplow drive to work?" ad. I am even old enough to remember it. ?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It begs the old question: does media create culture or vice versa? I think it works in both directions. Flakes have been around longer than Jettas.

Not A Yuppie

Reply to
Not a Yuppie

**Good! Anyone who gets into someone else's car and then starts screwin' with the stereo without asking should be shoved out while still moving! ;)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The same way that "cold" became the primary selling component of beer ads. Duh. It's the fridge that makes beer cold.

Ads targeted at stupid people piss me off...

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Somewhere I read all advertisements are made to sell you something you don't need or otherwise wouldn't buy. Hence all the political type ads.

The simple answer is don't watch listen or pay attention to anything you don't are not specifically looking for information on. I gave up on television years ago...and am close to doing the same to radio.

*MYSTIC*
Reply to
Mystic

I liked the one with the woman who was in the gym only working on her left leg and the tag line was "clutch muscle". I thought it was great cause of how hard it is to push in the clutch on a vw. Of course, a year later i realized that my clutch cable was sawing thru the metal bracket on my cabriolet. Fixed it and then the clutch was way easier to operate.

mike

Reply to
vwtopdown

Is your left leg now stronger . . . ? h2only

Reply to
gsnieder

I was going to reply - VW clutches are hard to press down, with confusion... Then i kept reading :-)

My left leg still feels stronger then the right after 3 years driving my old

Reply to
Rob Guenther

**Welcome to the lowest common denominator. LOL on your beer comment: For years, I've been saying why is there always tons of water and ice in beer commercials? Condensation everywhere, splashing ice-cold water, ice, snow...etc. After watching one, I'm sure as hell thirsty for a soda pop with lots of ice in it. :)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Yes , I believe it was for a while. But it was so weird after driving it with the bad cable then fixing the problem and now i can't really believe how easy it is. For the first week i thought i was going to push it thru the floorboard.

mike

Reply to
vwtopdown

Emphasis on 'ice-cold' in commercials is a reliable indicator of plonk. As you approach the freezing point it's hard to differentiate a good beer from a bad one. (I've been known to send back beer served in overly frosty glasses - don't need the ice cream headache.)

H2Only . . . but not a teetotaler ;)

Reply to
gsnieder

I think the original poster, as well as others are missing the message of the latest advertising campaign. I understood the first commercial with the dancers to be, they annoyed their neighbor, bought a bigger stereo, then bought their own house (hence the sold sign in the front yard). Even with the young driver with the VIP, it seems as though they are saying the cars are all grown up and civilized, but still maintain a certain adolescent fun about them, thus balancing responsibily with reckless abandonment. I would say that is quite accurate, I have a NB GLX, with the leather interior and the sunroof, it is almost like a mini-luxury car, but given an opportunity of a curvy abandoned road, and it is fun to step on it and make the tires howl in the corners :) Get it? Jerry

Reply to
Daytona Power Sports

Dude, as a former yuppie, I'm insulted. Those were gen-x nitwits, not yuppies. Get yer trendy generational names right, yeesh.

The ad is targetted toward the transitional youth/adult. Going from the rebel without a clue that's got a job forcing them to get one. The sort of mindset that would be just *delighted* not to own the same sort of car as you.

Reply to
Bill Kearney