Decision between two Jettas and different transmissions

I have an option to buy one of two Jettas. My choice is between a 2001 with a manual transmission and about 180000 km and the other is a 2003 with an automatic transmission with 150000 km. I'd like to buy the newer one, but a friend has told me that VW automatic transmissions have a bad reputation. Wondering if this is true.

Does anyone have experience with this

Thanks for your help koan

Reply to
koan

none2u

Both cars were in accidents and purchased from the insurance company. A friend who is a VW mechanic is doing the repairs. He has cautioned me to buy the manual transmission, but is not that familiar with the newer Jetta and whether they have automatic transmission problems. He does know that the older ones did have problems. I would prefer to buy the newer one as it has a few more frills, but am a little worried about the automatic transmission.

Any parts needed are be> VWs have problems with everything. Your problem should be less about what

Reply to
koan

Timing belt parts are about $333 US at a good discount VW parts website. You add labor to the parts price and then there is one other task to do which is intake manifold cleaning. On my 2003 TDI I think I am supposed to do the belt every 105,000 miles. Too lazy to get up and get the repair manual. The older model can have the same belt change if you get the correct belts. I think.

is the best place to get your TDI questions answered. If I had an auto I would want a DSG. So I would rather get the 2001. As mentioned it comes down to how much better maintained one looks over the other.

Reply to
Jim Behning