automatic transmission problems on 99-01 Jettas / Golfs?

Hi all,

I am shopping for a used Jetta or Golf. I don't drive stick, so I'm looking for an automatic transmission car. Today a mechanic I was talking to warned me that the automatic transmissions used in the non-turbo 99, 00, and possibly the 01 (he wasn't sure about that year) makes of both models were hugely prone to failure and very expensive to replace.

Can anyone corroborate or deny this? I've heard a lot about other mechanical issues with Jettas/Golfs, and all things considered I can live with electrical failures and squeaks, etc., but I would hate to buy a car which is likely to have a $3000 transmission problem in the nearish future.

thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Sonnenschein

I'm sorry.

Randy

RSMEINER

...I'm not. Any moron who can't differentiate between air cooled and water cooled cars deserves what he gets. ;-)

...Gareth (anyone else notice we have been getting quite a large influx of water heads posting here lately??)

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Shaggie

I've never heard of problems with VW auto trannies... Change the fluid at

100K Kms as perscribed and they should work well.
Reply to
Rob Guenther