DSG

Hi, I took a test drive in a Golf fitted with a DSG, very impressed. I believe the gearbox uses 2 mechanical clutches instead of a torque converter.I noticed that as soon as drive is engaged the car starts to creep forward just like an auto with a torque converter. My question is if the gearbox uses mechanical clutches then surely they will wear out prematurely, especially if leaving the car in drive when sitting at traffic lights.Is this the case or am I missing something?

Thanks Tony

Reply to
Tony

One difference is that whereas a manual transmission uses (I am sure you can find exceptions) a single dry plate clutch, the DSG uses two wet, multi-disk clutches. See illustration at

Randolph

That helps to explain, I suppose wet clutches are less prone to overheating and wear. Tony

Reply to
Tony

I wonder how it know's what (next) gear i'm going to choose......

SFC

"Randolph" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@junkmail.com...

Reply to
SFC

Your only choices are the next gear up, or the next gear down. (The "S" is "DSG" stands for "sequential" - the shifter doesn't give you an H-pattern where you can choose any gear.) I would imagine that if you're accelerating, it assumes the next shift will be an upshift, and vice versa.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Even if the next higher gear is already pre-selected, if what you want is the next lower, the time needed change preselected gears would be minimal. While this is taking place, you still have current gear engaged and are getting torque to the wheels. So, the time penalty if the wrong gear is preselected is probably insignificant.

Reply to
Randolph

I really love the 'simple' and clever design, typical vw/audi.