help, putting the exhaust clip thingies on

any tricks or sneaky ways to put the c-clip thingies (aka

*^%$@#!$#$ clamps) on my exhaust without spinding $116. on the tool i'll prolly only use a time or 2. tia doug
Reply to
doug

I've never found it.

I think I paid like $60 for a tool. I've "lent" it to a few muffler shops who've sworn they didn't need such a tool to work on my exhaust, only to find out that they really did.

Tim Wohlford '89 Golf

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

I have made my own tool using a peice steel available at Home Depot. It is

4" wide 1/8" thick 3' long and costs $ 5 - 10. I cut the steel bar in to a trapazoid shape smaller than the clip on one end and wider than the clip on the other end using a metal/ceramic cutting blade on my circular saw. _____ \___/

Use the tool to force the clip open then put it in place and knock out the tool.

Works like a charm!

-- Jonathan Lathrop Have Truck Will Haul Moving Service Riverdale, Maryland Careful Courteous Reasonable Reliable snipped-for-privacy@lathrop.com

301-779-7190 Cell: 202-352-8549

Reply to
Jonathan Lathrop

I found access so tight on my vehicle (transporter) and the clips so tight, that I couldn't get a wedge to work.

I adapted a spring compressor (for large suspension springs) by drilling and tapping the cast iron hooks to take a substantial bolt each - works but hard work.

For cylinder head removal, I now split the manifold on the flange after the turbo unit (diesel), and leave the c clamps and section of iron manifold in place.

J> I have made my own tool using a peice steel available at Home Depot. It is

Reply to
Dominic Ostrowski

I used a 2" muffler clamp reversed w/ a tack weld on it to keep the clip from flying off. cost 2.50

md

Reply to
vwtopdown

As said abov

I made both - use both - both work. I am chea

From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
Centurion

Reply to