Exhaust for MkIII 1.8 SE / Bad catalytic convertor??

My exhaust has a slit/hole which was temporarily patched a couple of months ago. Mechanic reckoned it would be good for 6-12 months. All seemed well, but now I have a metallic rattle coming from under the mid-front when moving off from standstill. Once cruising the noise goes away again. There is no loss of power. I'm hoping it's the exhaust coming loose as I'm ready to have this replaced, but I'm wondering about the Cat as the sound seems to be coming more from this area. From my description could it be a bad Cat? Loose heat shield?? Should I tap the Cat to see if it has debris inside??

As for the exhaust, I'm not sure whether to go for standard VW (quoted £200 + fitting) or aftermarket. [The whole thing needs replacing as it's corroding.] Would appreciate any suggestions, make and model of alternatives as recommended. It's a UK '96 1.8 with ADZ engine. SE model, but I think that merely refers to the trim level. TIA

Reply to
Paul Dormer

" All seemed well, but now I have a metallic rattle coming from under the

That's the CAT loose in its box. It will eventually break-up and partially block the exhaust giving severe loss of power. Buy a replacement from GSF or EuroCarparts. Check their prices online. Rgds Alec

Reply to
Alec

"Alec" emitted :

Turned out to be the heat shield - quick weld sorted it.

Are these your preferred places for buying VW parts online??

Reply to
Paul Dormer

That was a welcome surprise !! :-)

Yes, but I usually look online then visit the nearest branch. Rgds

Reply to
Alec

"Alec" emitted :

Definitely... ;-)