Golf TDi rattle

Hi, I have a recently bought Golf mk4 GT TDi 110 which is a 99/S reg and has 80k miles on the clock. It's been regularly serviced, last time 6k ago. When I accelerate through 2k (approx) sometimes I get a loud rattle, doesn't sound internal to the engine, comes from the front r/h side as I'm sat in the drivers seat. Sometimes there is no noise, and if you rev it with the bonnet up, no noise (other than the usual of course!) I initially suspected a loose cover or similar, none found. Any ideas anyone? TIA Darren

Reply to
Dazza

Possibly a loose heat-shield on the exhaust? I did have a similar problem with a Ford Escort but it was more speed related than at a particular RPM. When travelling at bout 10MPH I was getting what I can only describe as a metallic rattle but it was difficult to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. Turned out to be a hub cap on the rear offside wheel bearing which had dropped off but had nowhere to go because of the wheel trim so it just rattled around at low speeds. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave