rabbit coolant leak

I noticed coolant leaking from the front (passenger side) of my 84 Rabbit when running. Low on the motor, right by the belts. Is this likely the water pump? Is that where the water pump is located?

Reply to
Ears

Yes and yes. When is the last time you checked your timing belt?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

It's been a while. Why do you ask? Would it contribute to the leak? Thanks.

Reply to
Ears

Typically, one inspects (and often changes) the water pump with the timing belt... I was asking as a gauge for the last time that aspect of the engine received attention.

Do them both if you do either. And the idler/tensioner if so- equipped.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Rabbit water pump is not driven by the timing belt. At least MK1 rabbits

Typically, one inspects (and often changes) the water pump with the timing belt... I was asking as a gauge for the last time that aspect of the engine received attention.

Do them both if you do either. And the idler/tensioner if so- equipped.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Dennis