heidelberg stereo anti-theft device wierdness, not the usual "missing code" post

Greetings,

I have a 91 Passat with ye olde Heidelberg anti-theft enabled stereo. It died. I bought another one seemingly exactly like it from a guy who was junking his 91 Passat. Looks identical, plugs on back are identical. When I hook it up, it does NOT come up in "Safe" mode, so I don't have to enter the magic code (which I do have) AND the stereo works just fine. But here's the wierd thing.

NOW, with THIS stereo installed, when I take the key out of the ignition and open the door to get out, the little (boo doo dee) 3 tone song plays AS IF the keys were still in the ignition. AND when I close the door the automatic shoulder belt moves back to the "passenger is in the seat and needs me" position, even though the key is not in the ignition and I'm not even in the car.

See of course usually when you get in the car, put the key in the ignition but leave the door open, the 3 tone song plays because you have your keys in the ignition and the door is open. And of course usually when you take the key out of the ignition the automatic shoulder belt moves to the "passenger wants to get out so I'll get out of the way" position. Now that is all backwards.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this? I tried 6 ways to Sunday to enter the code into the stereo, unplugged it, plugged it in, not matter what I do this stereo never goes into safe mode. I even tried entering the code for my old stereo thinking the code goes with the car. No matter what code I put in, the stereo doesn't care because it never goes into safe mode. Very wierd.

If nothing else, can anyone tell me with any certainty that when I take the key out of the ignition and get out of the car and close the door and then the automatic shoulder belt goes into the "passenger in seat and needs me position" that the batter is NOT being drained to maintain this state? If the battery is not being used to hold it in this state, then I can deal with it.

Thanks for reading, any hints, ideas, clues, references welcome.

David

Reply to
David Kelling

Couldn't tell you if it has anything to do with the stereo, or what drain it puts on the battery. But on my A2, sometimes after taking the key out of the ignition, I get the tones when the door is open. In my case, it probably has more to do with a sticky connection inside the ignition switch, because if I put the key back in a ways then pull it out, it stops. Have you tried this?

Well, that's the best I can do on Sundays... ;-)

-+-

'86 Jetta GLI, 304K and counting

Reply to
Kelly Humphries

Your radio's anti-theft system is probably turned off. :-) If you want some instructions I can send you the link explaining how to turn it on or off. My 87 Jetta radio installed in my Audi is OFF. I hate that anti-theft junk since the thieves do more damage getting into the car and destroying the dash. I just lock up my radio with a special cable.

Try disconnecting the radio to see if the chimes stop and the seat belts release. Radio might be causing power to travel to the relay that is normally off when the key is out.

Just my thoughts! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

that could be the case...my A2's ignition switch sticks like that every so often where it thinks the key is still in it. Takes a certain indescribable flick of the wrist when removing the key to make it work correctly sometimes.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks for your thoughts. Here's how I solved the problem:

You were right, I already knew the problem didn't exist when the stereo in question wasn't plugged in. So after some thought and experimentation (and I only blew one fuse in the process, which I thought was pretty good considering) I figured which of the wires that was going to the stereo was sending a signal back to the car to reverse the operation of the seatbelt & chime, cut it, and when I did so, it made the whole problem go away and now everything works as it did with the original stereo.

Bonus: you are right, the anti-theft feature must be turned off in this stereo. Now I don't have to set it free next time I do work on the car that cuts power to the radio.

I would like instructions though for future reference :-)

David Kelling

Reply to
David Kelling