The engine fan? (was: My '89 Chrysler New Yorker looses power in hot weather)

Hi group,

Thanks for the help so far with my Chrysler problem. I appreciate the responses.

I think I've stumbled on to something.

With the in park and running, I lifted the hood again to look around and I noticed the fan blades at the front were NOT spinning! Could this be the answer to my problem?

I really don't know too much about cars, but doesn't this fan help to keep the engine cool? Perhaps the fan motor has died? I mean, shouldn't the fan be running when the car is on?

I'm hoping my problem will be solved by simply getting the fan working.

Thanks again for any help.

Tuxster

Reply to
Tuxster

The fan only turns on at a set temperature of 212 degrees or if the a/c turns on

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your response.

I understand the a/c part, but what do you mean by "a set 212 degrees"?

When under the hood hits 212 degrees? When the heat of the the engine hits 212 degrees? When the inside temperature of the vehicle hits 212 degrees? Or what?

I'm just a little unclear.

Thanks!

Tuxster

Reply to
Tuxster

when the engine coolant temperature reaches 212 degrees the engine fan is supposed to turn on.

Glenn

Reply to
damnnickname

When the engine COOLANT ? liquid stuff in the car?s radiator - hits 212º F, the fan turns on, and/or when the AC compressor turns on. The AC turn-on is required for the fan to pull air thru the condenser, which is the radiator in front of the engine?s radiator.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Actually, on a lot of cars the fan doesn't automagically turn on the minute turn on the AC either. In the case of my wife's 93 LH car, there's a pressure sensor on the high-side (condensor side) of the AC system and the fan only kicks on if the high-side pressure gets too high. That way if you're moving and there's enough airflow to cool both the AC condensor and the engine WITHOUT turning on the fan, you don't waste the energy of driving the fan.

Reply to
Steve

Get the engine warmed up, and then leave it running, parked, with the hood open. Eventually the fan should come on (since there's no air flow otherwise with the vehicle sitting still. Keep an eye on your temperature gauge. If it gets too high without the fan coming on, you've got a problem. Could be the sensor (screwed into the radiator or some other point in the coolant), the relay, or the fan. Something like this happened to me and it turned out to be simply a disconnected wire.

A friend had a car that tended to have its fan temp sensors die frequently, so we wired in both a pilot light and a toggle switch to the fan circuit. If his engine temperature got too high without the pilot light showing the fan was running, he could just hit the switch to turn on the fan manually.

Reply to
Ron Seiden