Help! I can't engaged 3rd from 2nd

Hey guys, I posted this query on the vortex but no one seems to know or if they did know, didn't respond. Maybe you can help?

Thing is this I shift up 2nd gear to 3rd, it doesn't engage, seems to be blocked but when i push it hard right and up it engages 3rd gear.

if i shift down from 5th or 4th to 3rd gear, it's fine. it's only the upshift that's the problem. anyone know why? oh ya and also the reverse switch doesn't work either. if it's plugged in the reverse lights are always on. not sure if that's a contributing factor.

help please!

thanks!

Reply to
dnotes

dnotes

OK now what kind and year of VW do you own? Duh...

Reply to
Woodchuck

sorry it's Mk1 82 Jetta. The shifter bushings, they were all replaced with a full shifter bushing kit, I thought the same thing, if i replaced the bushings it should have worked but unfortunately it didnt. would the 2 screws on the top of the transaxle case have anything to do with it?

http://63.138.17.219/Imagebank/digitalcamera/2003_0613_part/02.jpg i k> You replace all the shifter bushings on your A1 to fix this. There is

Reply to
dnotes