How is timing belt covered under VW's 10 year 100k warranty?

Does anybody here know what the exact terms are for the coverage of the timing belt under Volkswagen's 10 year,100k powertrain warranty? For instance, is it covered only if it breaks or if you would bring it in for inspection and it is found to be prematurely worn or about to break would it be covered? Would it be covered if you brought your car in to service for a noise in the engine and the cause is an exploding bearing that has also cause the timing belt to be shredded? Are the other timing belt parts covered as well, like the bearing and the tensioner?

BTW, I am the original owner and I do have all the service records and all the service is up to date. I had the waterpump replaced through the powertrain warranty last August with no questions.

Was it negligent of the VW dealer service to not recommend that I have the timing belt replaced when I had the waterpump replaced on my 2000 Beetle with 70k miles?

Reply to
Gary D

when you allowed the " The VW tuner guy " to do the belt ' plus' job , because you didn't want to wait till next week for vw , you cooked your own goose. just my opinion YES it sux you're out the money Do you have proof that vw said it sounded like something loose or vibrating? Do you ever watch judge judy? Good Luck to you Gary.

Reply to
samstone

Question: where did the OP say "VW Tuner Guy" in his message? Or Next week? Perhaps my server has not retrieved the right messages?

Reply to
PeterD

gary posted on 25Jan , and 1 Feb

Reply to
samstone

Reply to
none2u

A ''bearing exploding'' doesn't mean anything in this situation...

Reply to
al

Right... Which then makes his most recent post (this thread) a troll... Sorry!

Reply to
PeterD

I just want to know "how" the timing belt is covered under the powertrain warranty and what are the terms because I am getting all kinds of different info from different VOA reps as well as VW service departments. So if anyone here knows or knows a website that spells it out, I would appreciate it.

Reply to
Gary D

Who is a troll???

Reply to
Gary D

Here's my 2 or 3 cents on how I understand it.

Your manual should state when the t-belt must be inspected. If it does did you get it checked during that service?

If the belt breaks while in warranty, it's should be covered If the water pump seizes up and takes the t-belt and a bunch of valves, it's should be covered. If the tension roller goes bad and takes the t-belt and a bunch of bent valves, it should be covered. "prematurely worn or about to break" now that's the $100,000 question and difficult make a call. And if you go to the dealer and want a belt on that... well it may not get you a free belt.

Now if you feel real lucky and would like to gamble, then wait until the last day of warranty or miles(i.e.99,999) then pay to have the t-belt replaced along with the rollers. If it breaks before then it should be warranty and the only thing you are out is being STRANDED along the road(i.e. up the creek without a paddle). But if it was my car which had a

1.8t engine I would replace them around the 80,000mile window. 2.0engines can go well beyond 100,000miles... at least in our area. I have heard that in some big cities which have a lot of smog, ozone, and other pollution that rubber made items go bad a lot faster.

Bottom line, get your answers from the VW representative that comes to the dealer regularly.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

A bad bearing should definitely be covered under the powertrain warranty.

IMHO yes but good luck getting VWoA to agree with you. You would have had to pay for the TB service and associated belt and rollers however as that would be considered regular maintenance. 70K is close enough to the end of service life for the TB that IMHO it definitely should have been replaced, then you wouldn't have had to do it again for another full interval.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

According the latest VOA rep I talked to, the bearing failing is the most common cause of a timing belt prematurely damaged and would be covered under the powertrain warranty.

Reply to
lolajoker

As far as everybody knows ''exploding bearings'' are designed for special applications and are not intended to be in the hands of the general public...In case the OP has a serious belief that someone intentionnaly did put an explosive charge in the bearing, questions should be asked to the person(s) it might concern... This post is just to clarify the concept of ''exploding bearings''...Hope it helps.

Reply to
al

samstone, of course.

Reply to
Papa

why do you call me a troll?

Reply to
samstone

Look at your previous post. Did you say anything? If you post but say nothing at all, people will think you are a troll - even if you inadvertently post wordless.

Reply to
Papa

I find your comments ironic.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Thanks for responding. My previous post answered a question from Peter G.. it was a short one line , it said " gary posted on 25Jan , and 1 Feb"

Reply to
samstone

Oops! I apologize. Didn't notice your one-liner.

Reply to
Papa

accepted , and thanks

Reply to