Incorrect car spec - where do we stand?

My wife ordered her company car (Golf 2.0 GT TDI) back in April and it arrived last week. The car was the correct model but was missing one item from the standard specification - 'Dual Zone Climate Control'.

Upon queriying this, it transpired that the standard specification for this model had been changed (dropping the dual zone) by VW a week after the order was placed.

My wife's company gets it's cars via Lex Leasing. We contacted the supplying VW dealer and they said that they had informed Lex when Lex placed the order that the specification had changed and would Lex like to inform the customer (my wife) to see if the Dual zone should be added as an optional extra. Lex said to the dealer not to worry and leave the vehicle as it is. Therefore my wife ended up with a different spec car than the one originaly ordered.

The Dual zone climate control was one of the main reasons we chose this model and so we are very dissapointed.

Lex have said that VW have a right to change spec at any time.

After much debate Lex have said we can give the car back and order another car but pay the extra for the dual zone. Or we can have the cruise control free which we paid to have as an extra. The car cannot be retro-fitted with the dual zone.

Something doesn't sit right about their offer. The cruise control was =A3275 but the dual zone is =A3400.

Before we accept any offer from Lex, I just wonder what rights we have in this situation and any general thoughts on their offer.

Reply to
BritishBeef

Looks like you need to at least consult a consumer group, or an attorney specializing in these matters. Advice from another owner is almost always meaningless.

Reply to
Papa

Why worry about it - it's a company car, not as if it's your own money you're spending.

Reply to
SteveH

Probably true, but that won't stop me. The contract probably covers this situation; and it probably says that they have the right to change specs and you have the right to cancel if they do. Read it over.

Reply to
toller

But we ARE spending money on it! =A3105 a month in tax!!

Reply to
BritishBeef

That's tax, though.

You'd be paying that for the same list price regardless of the spec on paper, IYSWIM.

Just put up and shut up and be thankful that you get the use of a rather nice and quite expensive car for £105 / month all expenses included.

Reply to
SteveH

Not much you or anyone can do since it's not offered anymore. Personally I'm not one who thinks "zone" climate is really worth it especially in a small car compartment. You got 2 choices... buy it or not.

[...]

Something doesn't sit right about their offer. The cruise control was £275 but the dual zone is £400.

Before we accept any offer from Lex, I just wonder what rights we have in this situation and any general thoughts on their offer.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What for? Its not my car.

Reply to
Papa

Do you have a poor sense of humor, or are you stupid?

Reply to
toller