Info needed on ANSA or BOSAL replacement mufflers for 92 Jetta GL?

Greetings!

The center and rear mufflers on a 92 mexican Jetta GL have rusted out. They are not OE - they were installed on the car at 169 K miles back in

10/2000 by Midas in PA. I bought the car in 2001 and took it to NC, and the next year I took the car in for a sniffer test, the mufflers were leaking. Each and every year since then, the mufflers and pipes have leaked and have had to be sealed up wth a combination of high-temp epoxy putty and aluminum tape. Well I give up - there just isn't enough metal to hold together, so I want to replace the center and rear mufflers.

My local VW supplier - T-Hoff in Raleigh, NC, suggests either ANSA or BOSAL replacement mufflers. I can get them at T-Hoff for about $200 plus tax. I can of course return the parts from T-Hoff

I can also get them on line from places like

catalog.vw-auto-parts-wholesale.com, oem.thepartsbin.com, replacement.autopartswarehouse.com, etc. In fact - all these places use the same SKEW number and prices for the parts.

At all the places, the two ANSA parts are about $10 cheaper than the BOSAL parts. They all offer free shipping over $50. They all have different 800 numbers to call - but seem to have parts warehouses in NJ.

So can anyone tell me what experiences they have had with any of those suppliers or with those two brands of mufflers?

Reply to the group please

Reply to
USENET READER

Greetings back atchya, T-Hoff customer. I'm still driving my '85 GLI with a Techtonics aftermarket exhaust. It's still hanging in there. 'twas never meant to be a show piece, merely functional. Check 'em out at:

Bruce Fraser '85 GLI '91 Passat

USENET READER wrote:

Reply to
D'Elbow